Plans have been submitted by Watkin Jones Group for the Phase 2 development of the former Dickies Boatyard in Bangor, to provide 55 residential units, together with associated landscaping, parking and the provision of a headland footpath and cycleway.

Phase 1 of the development provided 72 new dwellings and it is anticipated for Phase 2, that should planning permission be granted, construction will commence in August 2018 and it is expected that the development will be completed by September 2019.

The application seeks full planning permission for a residential development of 55 dwellings, comprising of: 10 x 3 Bed Houses (2-Storey), 10 x 3 Bed Houses (3-Storey) 5 x 4 Bed Houses (3-Storey) 25 x 2 bed apartments and 5 x 3 bed apartments as part of a 4-storey block of apartments on the headland. The development will also provide an element of affordable housing.

Each house will benefit from two parking spaces, whilst each apartment will have one parking space. In addition, four visitor spaces are provided. Parking spaces are provided within parking courts and garages that are located throughout the site.

Site History

Planning permission was granted in 2012 for the redevelopment of the now completed Phase 1 of the site. The proposed phase 2 development site is currently vacant and has been since the boatyard relocated in 2011.

The site on Beach Road was previously used as a boatyard for Dickies International. First established in 1868 AM Dickie and Sons has been a boat builder, repairer, engineer and chandler. The Phase 2 site was previously used for the storage and repair of boats. Following the relocation of Dickies International to Port Penrhyn, the Watkin Jones Group acquired the site and proceeded with a full planning application for a residential development on half the site.

A slate works was established at the southern end of the site in 1849 and continued in operation until demolition in 1935 to accommodate improvements to Beach Road. Dickie’s Boatyard opened on the site as a boatyard and chandlery in 1924 and continued in operation until 2011 when the site was levelled ahead of the Phase I development.

Consultation

The planning application is predicated on pre-application discussions and engagement undertaken with a number of parties. This includes officers at Gwynedd Council, statutory consultees, the local community, neighbours and other interested parties.

Initial pre-application discussions took place with Gwynedd Council at a meeting on the 15th August 2017. The meeting was attended by representatives of the Watkin Jones Group, John McCall Architects and the Planning and Highways Departments of Gwynedd Council.

At the meeting the scheme architects provided an overview of the site characteristics and outlined some of the key design considerations including: Seeking to maintain views from the Phase 1 development, an enhancement of the former dock area, screening of the water pumping station, maximising the views of units on the headland, introducing cycle connections through the development and providing a focal point on the headland.

The principle of redeveloping the site was discussed and the Council confirmed that the principle of residential development would be acceptable in policy terms.

A second pre-application meeting took place with the Council on 24 November 2017, the meeting was an opportunity to explain to the Council the progression in the development of the scheme since the earlier pre-application meeting in August and since the public consultation event in October 2017.