Gwynedd Planning Committee have approved a planning application to build a new Aldi store on Caernarfon Road in Bangor.

 

 

The proposals, which were submitted in May 2019, will see the former Blakemore Cash & Carry building demolished and the vacant site transformed into a modern food store that will have a net sales area of 1,254m², 113 car parking spaces including dedicated disabled and parent-and-child parking and additional parking facilities for motorbikes and bicycles.

The plans also include improvements to Caernarfon Road around the shared point of access to the site and the neighbouring Dunelm store via the creation of a new mini-roundabout on Caernarfon Road and an additional bus stop.

The planning committee was told on Monday that Aldi had been looking for a new site for 3-4 years, and that the current store was “tired, dark, small and constrained” and that the plans would deliver a “sustainable development. A spokesperson for the developers said: “Aldi were unable to find a suitable location for the redevelopment within the city centre.”

Bangor City Council had objected to the development as they believed it to be contrary to the Gwynedd & Anglesey Joint Development Plan, i.e. “restricting the expansion of out-of-town retailing and leisure development”. They voiced concerns at the current level of traffic movements and congestion in this area, believing a further large retail outlet would generate an unacceptable increase in traffic flow on Caernarfon Road which is often ‘gridlocked‘.

In a report, planners said: “Overall, it is considered that there will be no significant impact on the vitality and viability of the town centre from the loss of Aldi.

“Allowing the relocation of the site will secure the future of the Aldi store and its existing workforce of 27 staff in Bangor and should create an additional 10 new jobs. This is considered to be a positive contribution to the local economy.”

The investment will be in the region of £5 million and demolition of the old building is likely to start in the new year.

The plans were recommended for approval with ward member, Councillor Gareth Roberts, speaking in support of the scheme, as well as strong support shown by local residents during the public consultation.

Mark Newton, Director of Total Property Solutions, and acting Development Manager for Bampton Property Group, said: “We are delighted that the Council’s Planning Committee supports the redevelopment of this brownfield site.

 “We are now looking forward to starting our initial work on site and getting ready for construction which will begin in Quarter 2 next year.”

A spokesperson for Aldi said: “We are proud to be part of the community in Bangor for the last 20 years and thrilled to receive this planning permission for our proposed new store.

“We look forward to The Bampton Property Group delivering the new store and expect to open it in 2021.”