First minister Mark Drakeford has announced that a ban on supermarkets selling non-essential items during Wales’ lockdown will be reviewed.
All shops selling non-essential items have been ordered to close in Wales after the country entered a 17-day “firebreak” lockdown on Friday.
The measures mean stores such as supermarkets and newsagents can remain open, but can only sell products the government deems to be essential.
The Welsh government has said parts of supermarkets which sell electrical goods, telephones, clothes, toys and games, and products for the garden should be closed to the public.
Welsh shoppers have been left angry by the measures and over 45,000 people have signed a petition calling on the Welsh Government to allow supermarkets to sell “non-essential” items during lockdown.
The petition states: “We do not agree that this is a prudent or rational measure, and will create more harm than good.
“We do not agree for example that parents should be barred from buying clothes for their children during lockdown while out shopping. This is disproportionate and cruel and we ask that the decision be reversed immediately.”
Mark Drakeford said the Welsh Government will be “reviewing how the weekend has gone with the supermarkets and making sure that common sense is applied.”
He added: “Supermarkets can sell anything that can be sold in any other type of shop that isn’t required to close. In the meantime, please only leave home if you need to.”
Bangor
Following an incident at Tesco in Bangor on Friday 23 October, 28 year-old Gwilym Owen from Anglesey has been charged with criminal damage, several public order offences, & contravention of the Coronavirus Regulations. He will appear at Caernarfon Magistrates court on 24 November.
Mr Owen had been filmed removing plastic coverings on clothes in the Tesco store, in a protest against the ban on supermarkets selling non-essential items.
