Local councillors have called on Gwynedd Council defer the decision to close two schools in Bangor as they believe the situation has now changed. The recommendation to the cabinet is to close Ysgol Glanadda and Ysgol Coed Mawr in August 2020 and move the pupils to the new Ysgol y Garnedd building.

Under the Gwynedd County Council favoured scheme the capacity of the new Ysgol y Garnedd would double, with a capacity of 420 pupils. Part of the reason for the reorganization was a significant reduction in the numbers of pupils attending Glanadda and Coed Mawr.

A report to the council earlier this year said that pupil numbers had changed significantly since 1980, with a 62% reduction attending Coed Mawr Infant School, and 68% at Glanadda School; But after the two schools merged on one site, Councillor John Wynn Jones says that there are now nearly 60 pupils attending Glanadda.

Mr Jones, who is the Mayor of Bangor and chairman of the governing body of Coed Mawr and Glanadda schools, said: “When the cabinet was considering this earlier in the year, the situation was quite different.

“The schools had many vacancies but now the two schools have merged to the same building and now have no spaces, so the reason for closing is not valid at the moment.”

He added: “I’m asking Gwynedd Council if they will consider deferring the decision to close these two schools at present and give the two schools the opportunity to establish themselves as one unit, and in doing so they can continue to give local education to the people of the area.”

Councillor Gareth Thomas, who has responsibility for education on Gwynedd Council’s Cabinet, claims the new school would offer first class provision. Councillor Thomas said: “We seen from other developments that we have in the county that the new buildings and their resources make such a difference to children and teachers to do their job.”

Councillor Medwyn Hughes, of Hendre Ward and Glanadda School Governor, also called on the council to reconsider their plans, he said: “Today Gwynedd Council decide whether Glanadda School closes in two years, with the development of the new Garnedd site on the present Friars school field.

“While I welcome the new educational developments in Bangor I am against closing Glanadda School which is such an important part of the local community. I hope today the Plaid Cymru cabinet make the decision to keep the school open for future use of the people of this ward and in doing so help with the traffic issues on Penrhos Road.

“As the local Hendre Councillor and Glanadda Governor I have given evidence twice to Cabinet and I hope today they will make the correct decision.”

Gwynedd Council cabinet will also consider objections before making a decision, including concerns over traffic, pupils crossing busy roads and the possible effect on Welsh language. The cabinet will discuss the matter today, Tuesday, 6th November.

Under the proposals pupils would move to the new 420 capacity Ysgol y Garnedd

 

 

 

 

Please consider using the Donate button below to support the work of The Bangor Aye – Even £1 will help. Thank you.