Bangor 1876 are hopeful of playing their home games at Nantporth next season after a dispute between Nantporth Community Interest Company (CIC) and Bangor City Council has been settled.
Nantporth CIC manage Nantporth Stadium on behalf of Bangor City Council, however, the future of the community football complex recently came into doubt due to a dispute over £63,000 in rent and insurance arrears.
The stadium opened in 2012 after Bangor City moved from Farrar Road. As well as the 1,100-seater stadium with a license to host some European and age grade international matches, and played host to this year’s Welsh Cup Final. Nantporth CIC also owns a 3G pitch which is in regular use by several local grassroots clubs.
Nantporth CIC said some of the £63,000 debt derived from unpaid rent by the former sub-tenants, Bangor City FC. The club – which no longer has an active team – surrendered its lease last year in an agreement that meant the CIC would shoulder the outstanding debt.
The council had threatened legal action against the CIC and said that the “dispute related to the continuous breach of the terms of the lease” and that they had a responsibility to “act in the interest of Bangor’s ratepayers”.
However on Friday, North Wales Live reported that the Director of Bangor City Council, Martin Hanks, had said: “We can confirm that the previously reported dispute it had with Nantporth CIC in connection to breaches to the terms of the lease for Nantporth have, as of this morning been resolved.”
Bangor 1876
A statement from Bangor 1876, this evening, read: “Following a hugely successful season, with the first team gaining promotion to Tier 2, work has been going on to ensure that the team can play at the higher level.
“A Tier 2 licence has been obtained from the FAW to play at Nantporth, which will be a very significant and emotional move for football fans in Bangor. Yesterday, the FAW confirmed the club’s status in the higher league.
“Given previous concerns around the on-going legal issues between Nantporth CIC and the City Council resulting from historical debts, Bangor 1876 were concerned about the sustainability and long-term implications of the move to Nantporth. Now that those issues have been resolved, the club is keen to move to the stadium to play Tier 2 football next season.
“Further discussions will be held with Nantporth CIC, with the hope that we can build on the existing agreement to secure the long-term presence of the club at Nantporth, and that, together, we can move on to provide a team and infrastructure of which the city can be proud.
“At least night’s meeting with supporters of Bangor 1876, there was universal support that we should now move forward to reach agreement with the CIC, and that we can secure the long-term security that will allow us to plan, prepare and deliver from next season onwards.”