Ysgol Friars in Bangor have confirmed that 8 pupils and a staff member have recently tested positive for coronavirus.
All those who have tested positive and all contacts in school have been told to self-isolate for two weeks, those travelling on the same private coach have also been advise to start isolation as well.
A letter to parents this afternoon, Thursday 22 October, from Ysgol Friars Headteacher Mr Neil Foden, said: “We have received news of two further cases of coronavirus amongst the children, in addition to those drawn to our attention earlier this week.
“We received a call late in the afternoon yesterday notifying us of an additional year 8 student has tested positive. This pupil last attended school on Monday morning, all contacts in school had already been isolated, but we had to ask all those that travel on the same private coach to start isolation as well.
“This morning we received news of a year 9 student who has tested positive. That student was last in school on Monday. We have sent all year 9 students home and asked those that were in school on Monday to start a period of 14 days of isolation. The grand total for pupil cases is now eight (3 in year 8, 1 in year 9, 4 in year 10).
“School will reopen for those student who are not self-isolating in year 7 and 8 on Monday 2nd November, and for all other year groups on Monday 9th November. Work will be set for years 9-13 via Show My Home work and Teams during the week starting 2nd November. Have a safe and healthy half term break.
“Ysgol Friars has been following a stringent hygiene process and will continue to do so, as well as other measures to reduce as much contact as possible between groups of pupils. The school has acted quickly to inform parents of the position and will be working closely with the local Test, Trace and Protect service to provide information to families. It has comprehensive safety measures in places, including seating plans for lessons and supervised socially-distanced dining arrangements and can identify potential contacts quickly.
“We send our best wishes to the pupils and member of staff affected and urge those who will be contacted by the Test, Trace and Protect service to follow the advice provided for the safety of your family and your local community.
“Pupils and staff are advised to continue attending school as above, unless they show any symptoms of coronavirus or are self isolating.”
Those families whose children have been asked to self-isolate are also advised to look out for any symptoms of the virus, including:
- a new continuous cough
- a high temperature
- loss of or change to sense of smell or taste
Anyone who develops any Coronavirus symptoms should isolate and immediately request a test by calling 119 or online by visiting https://gov.wales/apply-coronavirus-covid-19-test