Siân Gwenllian MS, Member of the Senedd for Arfon, has added her voice to calls for the 2026 JD Welsh Cup Final to be staged in North Wales, despite the Football Association of Wales confirming the match will remain in Newport.

This season has seen an extraordinary run in the Welsh Cup, with Bangor City 1876, Caernarfon Town, Rhyl 1879 and Flint Town United all progressing to the semi-final stage – the second time in the competition’s 148-year history that all four semi-finalists hail from the north of the country.

However, despite this historic achievement, the showpiece final is set to take place at Rodney Parade in Newport on Sunday, 12 April 2026, presenting significant travel and financial challenges for supporters of all four clubs.

According to BBC News, the FAW said the decision to keep the final in Newport had been made due to “logistical and operational reasons”, adding that planning for the venue was already well advanced. The BBC also reported that the governing body acknowledged the unique nature of this year’s competition but stated it was unable to change the venue at this stage.

Supporters of all clubs in North Wales have criticised the decision, with fans highlighting the distance involved and the cost of travelling south. Some supporters said that the decision risked “pricing people out of attending what should be a celebration of North Wales football”, while others questioned why a suitable North Wales venue could not be used, given the make-up of the semi-finalists.

Siân Gwenllian MS said: “This season’s Welsh Cup has highlighted the strength of football in North Wales, with Bangor, Caernarfon, Rhyl and Flint all reaching the latter stages of the competition. It reflects the quality of the clubs, the commitment of their volunteers and the loyalty of their supporters.

“It would be disappointing if this achievement were marked by a final held so far from those communities. For many supporters, especially families and volunteers, travelling to Newport presents real financial and practical difficulties. This risks limiting attendance and reducing the sense of occasion that this season deserves.

“Football plays an important role in communities across North Wales. Being able to attend matches regularly matters to supporters, and I know how significant this is for those connected to Bangor, Caernarfon, Rhyl and Flint.

“Hosting the final in north Wales would be a fair and sensible decision. It would recognise the achievement of these clubs and ensure that the showcase match of the competition is accessible to the people who have contributed so much to its success.”

The BBC report added that the situation has reignited wider debate about how major Welsh football fixtures are hosted, with calls for a more balanced, national approach in future seasons to ensure supporters from all parts of Wales can attend landmark matches.

Former Welsh Cup winner Ian Walsh called for the final to be switched to Wrexham.

Meanwhile former Wales striker Malcolm Allen added: “This season it’s the north Wales cup with four teams all from the north. I’d just ask the FAW to move the final.”

However FAW chief executive Noel Mooney said: “For the final it’s staying at Rodney Parade, we’ve had it there over the last few years.”

“It’ll be a massive occasion, a fantastic occasion, and one that we’re all looking forward to.”

“Wasn’t it fantastic to see the quarter-finals, it was great to see such big crowds… nearly 3,000 fans in Bangor (for their 3-1 win against Cymru South side Caerau Ely).

“Our plan for the new Cymru Premier looks at getting big crowds, as we can see in the north west of Wales that is already happening.”