Bangor business owners have described sales as ‘falling off a cliff ‘ and worse than the financial crisis of 2008, following a partial closure of the High Street.

 

 

Two businesses have closed following a devastating fire above the Noodle One Restaurant on the High Street on 17 December. Noodle One and neighbouring business Morgan clothes shop, also badly affected by the fire, have been forced to close.

Both properties are structurally unsafe and scaffolding is now in place to support the buildings while work continues to secure the buildings. A section of the High Street between Bangor Cathedral and Lôn Pobty has been closed to traffic since the fire.

Although the High Street remains open to pedestrians, retailers have spoken about the devastating effect the road closure is having on their businesses.

Numerous businesses in the upper High Street/Kyffin Square district, are reporting significant falls in their normal levels of trade due to lack of footfall. Several businesses have reported trade to be worse than that at the time of the Financial Crisis of 2008, with ‘sales falling off a cliff’ following the road closure.

Businesses are also raising significant issues regarding access for delivery vans not being able to access premises, with the diversion down Lôn Pobty proving too narrow for large vehicles.

The owner of More Than Beds furniture shop on Bangor High Street, said: “Footfall is down by approximately 50% on the same time last year.

“We are also having major problems regarding delivery of furniture to our store.

“Furniture and bed vans cannot use the alternative route, luckily we have storage options available to us in Menai Bridge, but this means closing our shop up to three times each day.”

Kyffin Deli Café owner Jo Pott Mercer said: “The road closure has been terrible for businesses in this area of the High Street.

“It’s 1pm lunchtime on a Friday afternoon and my café is empty. This is a real challenge due to the lack of footfall, many businesses are really struggling.

“We feel beleaguered. There are 70 businesses in Pendref are open for business, reached by foot or a difficult lane for small vechicles. I’m looking for Gwynedd Council to be highlighting the positives – parking is available in Kyffin Square, Asda & Lidel & for them to offer free parking and extended High Street parking.

“We need practical help to ensure our businesses survive.”

A statement from Gwynedd Council said: “Gwynedd Council’s Building Regulations Service took immediate action to inspect the properties and make the area safe for the public.

“As part of this work, temporary scaffolding has had to be erected on the highway to secure both structures. This has meant that this part of the High Street has had to be closed to vehicles and temporary traffic diversions have been put in place.

“Essential work will now need to be carried out to stabilise the buildings and to safely remove debris by crane before reconstruction can start. This process is likely to take until Easter to complete. During this time, in order to safeguard the public this part of Bangor High Street will have to remain closed to traffic. All other high street businesses remain open and traffic will still be able to access the upper high street via Lôn Pobty.”

Gwynedd Council’s Head of Environment Dafydd Wyn Williams said: “Removing debris and making these buildings safe will be a complex and challenging task.

“Unfortunately, having explored all possible options, our structural engineers have confirmed that there is no way in which this work can be safely completed without the need to keep this section of the High Street closed to traffic for a number of weeks.

“We fully appreciate the impact of this situation on local residents, traders and shoppers, and every effort is being made to complete the work as swiftly and safely as possible.

“As a Council we are committed to working closely with the City Council, Bangor BID, the Police and local businesses with the aim of easing the impact on all parties. Together, we very much hope that positive solutions can be achieved.”

Plaid Cymru Member of Parliament for Arfon Hywel Williams and Assembly Member Siân Gwenllian have called on Gwynedd Council to consider a range of temporary measures to support businesses in Bangor impacted by the closure of the high street to traffic following a recent fire.

The Plaid Cymru MP and AM have urged the Council to provide high street businesses in Bangor with a temporary rate cut to offset the downturn in trade felt by retailers following the closure of the high street to traffic.

Hywel Williams MP and Siân Gwenllian AM said: “Some high street businesses in Bangor have been in contact with us to express concern about their situation, following the closure of the high street to traffic due to the recent fire.

“Several businesses have commented on the downturn in trade and problems with deliveries accessing premises on the high street, particularly for heavy vehicles.

“We have asked Gwynedd Council for an update on the situation, particularly in relation to the temporary traffic arrangements affecting businesses in the Kyffin Square area, who require unhindered access to their businesses.

“Given the impact on local businesses, we have asked the Council to look at what alternative temporary measures can be put in place to help ease the pressure on local businesses, both in terms of providing financial relief and contingency traffic arrangements.

“In the meantime, we call on local people to support the high street in Bangor. Our traders work extremely hard to keep their stores going. It is vital that we all support them during this difficult time.

Bangor Business Improvement District (BID) are also working with Gwynedd Council to support local businesses and provide practical help. Chair of Bangor BID Pamela Poynton said: “Bangor BID will be working alongside Gwynedd County Council to help the businesses affected by the road closure.

“We want people to be aware the road is still open to pedestrians and there is a lot of independent shops who need customer support.”