Betsi Cadwaladr University Health Board has responded to a ‘tacit suggestion’ that Richard Madeley received preferential hospital treatment.

 

The Good Morning Britain presenter was one of the ten contestants to head to Gwrych Castle in Abergele, for the ITV reality series I’m a Celebrity… Get Me Out of Here!

He joined the likes of Danny Miller, David Ginola, Louise Minchin, and Dame Arlene Phillips as the show’s 2021 campmates.

But after just five days on-screen Madeley was forced out of the show.

Last Thursday (25 November) it was announced by ITV that the 65-year-old had been taken to hospital – most likely to be Ysbyty Glan Clwyd – after falling ill in the early hours of the morning.

While his visit to hospital was a precaution and was given a clean bill of health, he was unable to return to the castle because he broke the Covid ‘bubble’ that had been created by the show’s contestants and crew.

There had been speculation that the GMB host, who has since said he believes he suffered from dehydration, was given faster access to medical treatment.

Richard Madeley said: “I was only in there for about an hour and a half – I was given really thorough checks, and I was given a completely clean bill of health. I’m absolutely fine.”

A statement from Betsi Cadwaladr University Health Board on social media said: “In today’s media coverage of Richard Madeley’s recent hospitalisation, there has been a tacit suggestion that he was given preferential treatment.

“We are unable to comment on the prioritisation or treatment of any individual patients. However, we wish to remind people that in line with the founding principles of the NHS, we always prioritise patients on the basis of clinical need, irrespective of their celebrity status.”

Madeley has now returned to hosting GMB and insists that he is “as fit as a fiddle”.