Bangor University staff will remain on strike after a proposed deal to settle the dispute over pensions was rejected by The University and College Union (UCU) today.
The proposed deal would have seen the disputed changes to staff pensions put on hold and a temporary deal put in place to tackle the pensions deficit, with talks to re-open on long-term pension arrangements from 2020.
The union is now calling for urgent negotiations with the universities’ representatives, Universities UK, aimed at resolving the dispute.
Further Strike Action
The UCU have said the strikes remain on, after a potential deal, which had been reached on Monday night after six days of talks at the conciliation service Acas, was rejected by its members.
The UCU has said it would now make detailed preparations for strikes over the assessment and exam period, between April and June.
Last week the union said that universities would be hit with a second wave of 14 strike days targeted at exams and assessment if the dispute was not resolved.
The strike has lasted four weeks and cancelled classes in over 60 universities across the UK.
A Universities UK spokesman said: “It is hugely disappointing that students’ education will be further disrupted through continued strike action.”
UCU general secretary Sally Hunt said: “Branches made it clear today that they wanted to reject the proposal. UCU’s greatest strength is that we are run by and for our members and it is right that members always have the final say.
“The strike action for this week remains on and we will now make detailed preparations for strikes over the assessment and exam period. We want urgent talks with the universities’ representatives to try and find a way to get this dispute resolved.”