The Welsh Government has confirmed restrictions on public movement, working and leisure will continue for longer than originally planned because of coronavirus.

 

Housing Minister Julie James AM told the daily briefing on Wednesday that the lockdown would “definitely be extended” beyond the Easter bank holiday weekend.

The minister said people should not make plans for next week as the lockdown will continue into another week.

Julie James AM said: “These are extraordinary times, and we’ve taken these measures because by working together we can slow the speed of the coronavirus,” Mrs James said.

“We will definitely be extending the guidelines, and more formal restrictions will be announced within the next few days. What I do know is that the measures will definitely stay in force after Monday.

With the Easter weekend coming up, Mrs James also reiterated the importance of abiding by the rules.

“There are signs that these measures are having an impact,” she said. “Our decisions taken this weekend will impact our lives in the future. We have seen people flouting the guidelines so far in all four parts of Wales, but on the whole we have seen a brilliant reaction from the public.”

The government guidance says people should only leave home for one of four reasons:

  • Shopping for basic necessities such as food and medicine. Shopping trips should be as infrequent as possible
  • One form of exercise a day such as a run, walk, or cycle. This should be done alone or only with people you live with
  • Any medical need, or to provide care or to help a vulnerable person. This includes moving children under the age of 18 between their parents’ homes, where applicable. Key workers or those with children identified as vulnerable can continue to take their children to school
  • Travelling to and from work, but only where this is absolutely necessary and cannot be done from home

Public Health Wales says a further 33 people with COVID-19 have died bringing the total number of deaths in the country up to 245. There have been 284 new cases, meaning 4,073 people have tested positive for the disease in Wales, although the true number is likely to be much higher.