The Welsh Premier League title race is all but over after Bangor City lost 2-1 at leaders TNS in the last game of ‘phase one.’

The perennial champions are now 14 points ahead of Bangor and 12 points clear of Connah’s Quay, who are in 2nd place, with just 10 games remaining in ‘phase two’ of the season.


City named an unchanged line-up from the 3-1 home win over Newtown and were unlucky not to come away with at least a point, unsurprisingly the game wasn’t without controversy.

TNS midfielder Tom Holland was booked in the 9th minute for a cynical foul on Luke Wall after he was out paced, then controversially in the 59th minute Holland fouled Wall again, referee Bryn Markham-Jones reached for a card to book Holland for a second time, before changing his mind and allowing him to stay on the pitch, the decision could have been a decisive factor in such a tight game.

Luke Wall tested Harrison in the TNS goal after a great pass from Hewitt and a volley from Gary Taylor-Fletcher just moments later forced Harrison into a great save.

A frantic first half, saw efforts from both sides but with both goalkeepers in top form, the half remained goalless.

The New Saints finally took take the lead through Aeron Edwards’ 79th minute strike, but Bangor levelled the score just minutes later on 83’ minute as Luke Wall tucked the ball away after Gary Taylor-Fletcher‘s initial shot is saved; TNS hit back with Blaine Hudson’s 87th minute goal to earn the hosts all three points.

The Bangor City faithful, who turned up in good numbers and were vocal from start to finish.

Plenty To Play For

Despite the title race being effectively over, City have much to play for in the second phase of the season, with second place in the Welsh Premier guaranteeing European football next season and a place in the Irn-Bru (Scottish Challenge Cup) which allocates two places from Northern Ireland and Wales to compete alongside the 30 members of the Scottish Championship, League One and Scottish League Two; and of course there is the small question of the Welsh Cup! Come on City!

FT: The New Saints 2-1 Bangor City

Bangor City: Matthew Hall, Danny Holmes, Laurence Wilson, Guto Williams, Tom Kennedy, George Harry, Luke Wall, Steven Hewitt, Danny Gosset, Gary Taylor-Fletcher, Dean Rittenberg

Subs: Connor Roberts, Sam Jones, Brayden Shaw, James Demetriou, Anthony Miley, Paul Connolly