Bangor’s new fan-owned football club has unveiled its club name and crest today. The team’s name, Clwb Pêl-Droed Bangor 1876 Football Club, celebrates the sporting tradition and the foundations of organised football in the City of Bangor.
Members of Bangor City Football Club Supporters’ Association (BCFCSA) voted overwhelmingly to start the new club at a meeting in April, after relationships between fans and the owners of Bangor City, Vaughan Sports Management (VSM), became increasingly strained.
On 31 May BCFCSA became a Supporters’ Community Mutual widely known as a Supporters’ Trust. Members were invited to propose their names for the new football club and Bangor 1876 was the overwhelming choice of the membership.
The name Bangor 1876 is an acknowledgement and homage to the origins of organised football in Bangor, which can be traced back to a public meeting held in the Magistrates Room on 18 December 1876. Then, as now, the aim was to ensure the continuity of competitive football of the highest possible standard in the city and its catchment area.
Back in 1876, blue and red were adopted as the official club colours with subscriptions fixed at five shillings. Suitable accommodation was found when a field adjoining the old Friars School, subsequently known as Maes-y-Dref, was hired from a gentleman by the name of Thomas Williams.
Bangor 1876 has also unveiled that the City of Bangor coat of arms will be adopted as the official club crest. The choice of crest reflects the club’s commitment to serve the local community, and preserve its proud footballing heritage, whilst engaging with supporters from Bangor, the surrounding area and further afield.
Further announcements will be made by the Supporters’ Trust and Bangor 1876 on team colours and playing facilities in due course.