Bangor won at Porthmadog on a grey cloudy Boxing Day afternoon illuminated by a fine second half solo goal from substitute Sam Dool.

With Yalany Baio ruled out City switched Jordan Piggott to right back to allow Sam Barnes to parnter Mike Williams in central defence. The ever dependable Anthony Stephens filled the left back berth.

But it was midfielder Jake Phillips who caught the eye as he put in a remarkable non stop display in a midfield which was at times over run by their home counterparts.

Porthmadog forged the first two openings as Shaun Cavanagh headed off target from a corner before Dan Dascalu sent a low raking drive which forced a fine save from Chris Mullock who still needed the help of his right hand upright before seeing the ball crash out for a corner on the opposite side.

If the home side had enjoyed the majority of the opening spell it was Bangor who scored first on twelve minutes.

Alex Darlington lifted the ball over the Port defence and Marc Williams capitialised on a moments hesistation from Paul Pritchard to slot home from close range.

City won a freekick for a wild challenge by leftback Josh Banks on Jordan Piggott which in turn led to a couple of corners at the carpark end but with no real threat.

On the half hour Josh Banks headed weakly on target before Shaun Cavanagh tried to catch Chris Mullock off his line but failed to clear the retreating glovesman. Two minutyes later a golden opportunity for rightback Gruff John Williams but he missed the target from four yards out.

But if City were riding their luck it quickly ran out as goalkeeper Chris Mullock sank to the floor and despite the best efforts of the magic sponge man, had to be replaced on 35 minutes by debutant Nathan Wolland who has arrived from Accrington Stanley.

The 22 year cut a nervous figure at first as Port forced a fifth corner of the afternoon but gradually gained composure and settled behind the no nonesense blues back four.

Jacob Farleigh lashed his shot into the side netting before Port won a sixth corner which Bangor dealt with. At the end of the half loud penalty shouts for City as Jacob Farleigh saw his shot blocked by the arms of a home defender but referee Smallman ruled his hands were by his side.

So a slender lead for City to take in at the interval.


No changes at the interval for City but Port introduced former Bangor favourite Sion Edwards for Rob Evans.

City now defending the car park end on a still December afternoon at Y Traeth.
A weak shot from Les Davies was comfortable enough for Paul Prtichard. Next a yellow card for right back Gruff John Williams for a poor challenge on Jacob Farleigh.

Ten minutes after the restart a further change for Port as Tomos Emlyn Jones joined his brother Ifan on the pitch as the expense of former blue Shaun Cavanagh. Bangor broke through the midfield but two home players committed evident fouls although only Sion Edwards had his name taken by Referee Smallman.

On 66 minutes a second change for Bangor as Sam Dool replaced Alex Darlington and brought some stablilty to the blues midfield.

Substitute Sion Edwards made an impact on the attacking left and sent over a couple of dangers fast paced crosses and saw a shot on target saved by goalkeeper Wolland.
On 76 minutes a roar from the blues fans as Gary Taylor Fletcher made his return debut in place of Les Davies.

And five minutes later on 82 the changes worked as Sam Dool ran through the midfield and then at the backpeddling defence to beat Paul Pritchard via a clear deflection. A touch of fortune in the final action but a tremendous surging run that left the home defence flat footed.

Although the Port players did not give up the ghost the certainly seemed to lack the conviction that they could score twice in the small amount of time remaining and so it proved.

Port won a late corner which came to nothng, Robbie Parry ran across the edge of the box from left to right before he was flattened by the right hand corner flag. Freekick but no yellow card from the inept whistler who seemed at times to be tossing a coin before deciding which way to point. In fairness he was poor for both sides.

At the final whistle a close fought win made all the sweeter by news of defeats for Flint and Rhyl against Holywell and Prestatyn respectively.

Guilsfield at home next Saturday at 1pm.

Substitute goalkeeper Nathhn Wolland

FINAL SCORE 0-2  Att: 576