Bangor City hope the Football Association of Wales (FAW) will consider the findings of an independent arbitration panel and now ‘make peace’ with the club, following a protracted disciplinary hearing.

The Citizens won their appeal at the hearing which was held in Birmingham on Friday, 16 August. A further points deduction could have seen the club relegated to the third tier of Welsh football.

In May 2019, the Citizens – who play in the Cymru North – were charged with alleged breaches of FAW rules, which included fielding ineligible players, failing to complete the required registration process and the non-payment of players. An initial 42-point deduction was halved on appeal, sparing them relegation.

The club then launched a second appeal against that 21-point deduction but also faced a fresh FAW charge of fielding an allegedly ineligible player.

The independent arbitration panel ruled that Bangor City should have the 21 points deducted from the Huws Gray Alliance League 2018/19 season restored and a £700 the fine imposed by the FAW removed

The additional charge from the FAW was not proven.

A statement from Bangor City said: “This is the conclusion of a long, drawn-out battle with the FAW.

“The Association furnished upon the panel in excess of 1000 documents. Despite this, we have proven the case in favour of the club and we look forward to the forthcoming season.

“For the integrity of football in Wales, we now hope that the FAW will consider the findings and make peace with us as a member club.”

The club, who had been suspended from all competitive football until the hearing, will play their first game of the new season at Conwy Borough on 24 August.

Bangor City manager Stephen Vaughan Jr said: “It’s now time to start playing some football, to put this behind us and begin our League programme.

“We’ve prepared well and the lads have been excellent in not letting anything but football come into their minds. They’re raring to go.”