There was more bad news for Bangor City this week after it emerged the club face a player transfer embargo and a new winding up order for unpaid tax.

The North Wales Chronicle reported that a transfer embargo was placed on the club by the Football Association of Wales (FAW), following a meeting last month, preventing them signing professional players until 31 December.

Ian Gwyn-Hughes, head of public affairs at the FAW, confirmed that a “disciplinary investigation is currently ongoing regarding other matters”, which are the subject of additional investigations regarding matters that “cannot be stated at this time”.

It has also emerged this week that the club now face a new winding up order from the HMRC over unpaid VAT. The court case is scheduled for 19 June, although two previous insolvency orders were dismissed last year after the outstanding tax bills were paid before the cases came to court.

This is the latest in a series of problems faced by the club since they were taken over by Vaughan Sports Management (VSM). The club were demoted from the Welsh Premier League in 2018 after failing to obtain a Domestic Licence due to financial reasons.

The club’s auditors resigned last October with an 11-point letter of concerns about how they say the club was being managed. The auditors claimed there was inaccurate information about loans to the club, lack of supporting evidence for money introduced into the club and missing accounts.

In January this year the club revealed debts of £80,000 in unpaid bills which included unpaid players’ wages which resulted in a number of first team players leaving the club, leaving the academy players to step-up to the first team to complete the season. Manager Gary Taylor-Fletcher also departed earlier this month.

The electricity and water supply were also turned off in January after bills totalling £25,000 to the utility companies were unpaid. The stadium was closed for over a month, forcing the team to play their ‘home’ matches at other venues.

The club are yet to make an official statement regarding the latest problems but announced last month the stadium would close ‘until further notice’ while the pitch and building undergo ‘refurbishment‘.