Bangor City were comfortable winners over a hard working Holyhead who could not cope with the goalscoring threat of Alex Darlington and co.

City had goalkeeper Chris Mullock out through injury, Sam Barnes likewise whilst Marc Williams was suspended. Jacob Farleigh was also injured.

All of which meant a recall for fit again Anthony Stephens with Sam Dool and Alex Boss also coming in.

Bangor forced the early openings as Robbie Parry fired over from distance before Les Davies just failed to control a Parry cross minutes later. On the quarter hour mark Alex Boss raced clear but could not keep the ball under control and the chance slipped away.

City had a grip on proceedings with the visitors trying to take the sting out things as best they could.

Either side of the half hour mark two more chances as Yalany Baio fired high and wide bfore Robbie Parry picked out Alex Darlington but he shot over.

Ten minutes before the interval Anthony Stephens’ long ball found Les Davies but his header sliced wide. Centrebackj Jordan Piggott ran through but sent his powerful strike narrowly wide. Ashley Stephens again delivered a cross which was headed own by Les Davies but Alex Darlington fired wide.

Then on 41 minutes City had the lead. Alex Boss charged upfield but Holyhead conceded a throw in which Jake Phillips hurled into the box for Alex Darlington to prod home from six yards.

In the closing minutes of the first period some anxious moments for young Dan Williams whose dad Merfyn was amongst the Holyhead substitutues. First he spilt a Les Davies shot but the ball was scrambled away. Then Robbie Parry fired in a freekick which the young glovesman could not gather but again the danger passed.

In fairness the youngster stood up to an Airbus onslaught the week before as Carl Jones served a suspension. He could hardly have faced a sterner examination in his first two outings.

Into added time a yellow card for Mel McGinness who might have seen red for a wild challenge on Yalany Baio.

So a slender but deserved lead for City but with the visitors still very much in the game.


No changes at the interval.

City picked up where they left off with a couple of early corners before on 56 minutes they doubled the lead.

Again the scorer was Alex Darlington who latched onto Les Davies’ lay off to drive home from the edge of the box.

Moments later – on the hour mark – it was three nil and all over bar the shouting as Mel McGinness sliced the ball to Robbie Parry whose curler left young Williams with little chance.

The next action saw a yellow card for leftpeg Kenleigh Owen for a foul on young Alex Boss who was with Hotspur last season.

On 65 minutes Les Davies and Robbie Parry combined on the attacking left, Davies’ cross is headed wide by Alex Darlington. But moments later, on 67 minutes, Holyhead pulled on back as former blues striker John Littlemore got in behind the blues defence to beat Lee Bulmer with a calm finish. This visibly lifted the islanders but they could not seriously threaten the blues goal despite upping the tempo.

The pacey Alex Boss was still unsettling the visitors defence and Alex Jones was next into the referee’s book as he resorted to desperate measures to halt his progress.
As a result Boss was replaced by Sam Jones on 75 minutes on three minutes later it was four one as former blue Corey Jones was tackled by Les Davies who set up Robbie Parry whose curler again left Williams with little hope.

Two minutes later young Gethin Thomas came on for Yalany Baio who had run himself ragged. Kenleigh Owen tried his luck for Holyhead but sent his effort high and wide.

But Bangor’s goalkeeping woes continued as Nikki Lee Bulmer was unable to continue. Young Gruff Evans trotted on for his first team debut with some ten minutes to see out.

And credit to the academy stopper he kept a clean sheet for the remainder of the match as City ran out four one winners and got their name into the hat for the fourth round draw.

Some injury worries for manager Gary Taylor Fletcher to contemplate but a proud moment for the six academy youngsters who were involved, hard to remember when two such young goalkeepers would have been on the field at the end of a first team fixture.


Att: 326

Next game home to Holywell on Friday 14th December

Main Photo: Alex Darlington celebrates (Copyright Event Photo Wales)

Match Report by Mike Smith – Dedicated Bangor City fan and curator of an unofficial website dedicated to Bangor City FCC