Bangor beat battling Buckley thanks to two late second half goals after leading goalscorer Aled Darlington missed a first half penalty.

With Jordan Piggott and Sam Dool laid low by a midlands flu the starting Bangor line up included Gruff Evans in goal but otherwise was seasoned enough, whilst the substitutes bench had a very youthful hue. Most of whom were to play a part in that dramatic finale.

Attacking the changing room end at The Globe Bangor went close early on, Jacob Farleigh cut in from the right but fired straight at Joe Makaruk. Buckley responded with a corner which midfielder Josh Jones lifted high over Gruff Evans’ crossbar. To a certain degree this was the pattern of the first half.

On ten minutes Bangor were awarded a penalty as Gary Taylor Fletcher ran into the box and was brought down by Joe Makaruk. A yellow card for the tall glovesman but he was a hero moments later with a comfortable save from a weak Alex Darlington spot kick. For Buckley fans who had voiced their criticism of the penalty decision the shout was now justice…

Bangor continued to push the home side back, Mike Williams fired over before rightback Josh Gannon was shown a yellow card for a crude trip on Alex Darlington.
Midway through the half a double chance for City as Darlington saw his shot blocked and moments later Makaruk did well to deny Jacob Farleigh.

On the half hour a yellow card for leftback Anthony Stephens for a foul on Aaron Williams. Buckley could make nothing of the freekick though and moments later Alex Darlington fired on target from outside the box but the calm Makaruk gathered once more.

Yalany Baio and Gary Taylor Fletcher had control in midfield and frustration might have provoked the foul on the former Leicester schemer by Josh Jones which earned him a yellow card.

The final action of the first half was a Buckley corner which came to nothing and referee Livesey blew for the break with City fans contemplating the missed penalty and weak shots on goal.


No changes at the interval.

The second half carried on in the same pattern as the first with Bangor controlling the ball and playing some neat passing moves emanating from Taylor Fletcher and Baio and involving pretty much every outfield player.

Yalany Baio forced a good save from Makaruk as Robbie Parry began to find more time and space to trouble the home defenders.
Right winger Jacob Farleigh sent over a high cross which dropped to Alex Darlington but his effort was blocked and pounced on by Makaruk. Credit the home centreback pairing of Callum Humphries and Lewis Done who stood up to the examination without resorting to illegal measures.

City deserved something to show for their efforts but when Gary Taylor Fletcher hit the side netting from a tight angle it seemed a goalless draw was the likely outcome. Moments later the blues player manager raced through and saw his shot pushed over by Makaruk but referee Livesey gave a goalkick and yellow carded Taylor Fletcher for his complaints.

With twenty minutes to go City sent on Sam Jones for Robbie Parry whilst Buckley introduced Connor Littler.

The game changed, with Jones very much involved and City exploiting a hitherto unseen apprehension in goalkeeper Makaruk who seemed reluctant to come for high crosses. Or Bangor found a way to launch crosses over him. Either way Jake Phillips with a string of corners, crosses and long throws was his tormentor in chief.

Fittingly it was Phillips whose high corner from the left evaded everyone, Sam Barnes headed back across goal and Marc Williams flicked home at the near post for a well deserved 76th minute lead.

On 83 minutes former Bangor favourite Chris Roberts trotted on whilst young Alex Boss replaced Alex Darlington who may be Malta bound.

On 85 minutes it was two nil as Marc Williams unsettled the home defence before passing to substitute Sam Jones who took his time before slotting home from fifteen yards and celebrating pitchside with a very proud father.

In the closing minutes Gethin Thomas came on for goalscorer Williams and with the young goalkeeper, midfielder and forwards enjoying the afternoon City ran out clear winners. Alex Boss forced one final save from the impressive Makaruk as he enjoyed his late runout.

So a clean sheet for a confident Gruff Evans, well shielded by Sam Barnes, Mike Williams and co, a good passing display on the difficult Globe pitch and a late clincher for young Sam Jones.

All in all a good afternoon.

Denbigh at home next Friday evening

Full-Time 0-2 Attendance: 212

Match Report: Mike Smith