Bangor 1876 returned to winning ways in emphatic style on Saturday after the disappointments of the FAW Trophy and JD Welsh Cup exits at Lalnrwst United and Ruthin Town respectively.


1876 racked up thirteen goals in Bob Owen Memorial Shield demolition of CPD Llanystumdwy at Treborth.

Proceedings got off to the perfect start for the home side under the fine drizzle of a November afternoon at Treborth as sharpshooter Jamie Petrie found the target in the fifth minute from Dafydd Thomas’ incisive run down the right for an early lead.

The advantage was doubled on eleven minutes. Cian Williams’ diagonal pass was missed by the Llanystumdwy defence for Les Davies to feed Dylan Summers-Jones to calmly round Llanystumdwy keeper Carl Williams for Bangor 1876’s second goal of the afternoon.

Midfielder Dylan Williams added his name to the goal scoring charts with a well struck drive that beat his namesake in the visitors goal to nestle in the bottom right hand corner of the net on nineteen minutes.

Just beyond the half hour mark, Dylan Summers-Jones doubled his personal tally – notching his twentieth goal of the season – with an instinctive finish as Les Davies headed goalwards from Shaun Lock’s corner kick delivery.

Three minutes later and the formidable Les Davies demonstrated some nifty footwork to create the space from Jamie Petrie’s cross to send a low hard drive beyond Llanystumdwy guardian Williams to ensure a 5-0 lead for the home side ahead of the half time break.

Half Time: CPD Bangor 1876 FC 5-0 CPD Llanystumdwy

Within four minutes of the restart, a short corner routine taken by Jamie Petrie fed left back Shaun Lock who duly made it six with a well struck shot from outside the penalty area. The goal marked Lock’s first goal for his hometown club.

Two minutes later and Jamie Petrie scored the seventh from a Summers-Jones assist as the Llanystumdwy defence buckled under the incessant pressure.

On the hour mark, the Bangor 1876 fans were treated to that rarest of commodities – a goal from skipper Michael Johnston. The goal marked the popular centre back’s first competitive goal in several seasons as he scrambled home a corner kick delivery from close range.
Dylan Summers-Jones claimed his hat-trick on 64 minutes – his fifth treble of the season – and increase his season’s tally to a remarkable twenty-one goals thus far as the lead increased to an unassailable 9-0.

Llanystumdwy did provide the occasional threat on Bangor 1876’s goal but young goalkeeper Danial Williams was up to the task and pulled off the necessary acrobatics when required to preserve the clean sheet.

With twenty minutes of the match remaining, Johnston’s central defensive partner Cian Williams pounced onto a loose ball from a set-piece delivery as the home side ratcheted up a double figure score for the fourth time this season.

The visitors’ woes were deepened after 77 minutes with possibly the goal of the day as young midfielder Luke Steele volleyed home with technique and precision to leave Williams helpless in the visitors goal.

Ten minutes from time, Les Davies added his second goal of the afternoon as he smashed home off the underside of the crossbar to make it a round dozen for Bangor 1876.

To add insult to injury, a thirteenth goal duly arrived in the penultimate minute of play as leading goal scorer Jamie Petrie claimed his hat-trick and 26th goal of the season in a relentless afternoon of attacking football from the home side.

Bangor 1876 now progress to a Round Two tie away to either Menai Bridge Tigers or Talysarn Celts. Next up however, will be a long awaited return to Gwynedd Football League activity and a visit to Glantraeth FC next Saturday, 23 November (2pm Kick Off).

Full Time: CPD Bangor 1876 FC 13-0 CPD Llanystumdwy

Report: Kevin Owen
Photos: CPD Bangor 1876 FC