A lacklustre performance from Bangor City saw them slump to a home defeat against Barry Town, in the Welsh Premier League.

After of a magnificent performance on Tuesday night against Connah’s Quay which saw Bangor move to the top of the league, Bangor dominated possession, but the play always seemed slow and laboured, and ultimately lacked the end result, a goal.

Dean Rittenberg had the first opportunity for Bangor after 3’ but his shot was comfortably saved, a succession of Barry Town corners followed as the visitors looked for that all important goal.

Gary Taylor-Fletcher saw a shot from the edge of the box narrowly fly over the crossbar and Brayden Shaw’s effort from 20-yards was wide of the Barry post.

Barry were content to defend in numbers and relied on the counter attack, with Mclaggon denied by City goalkeeper Connor Roberts on 15′ and on 25’ an important interception by Anthony Miley to denied Mclaggon a free run on goal, the warning signs were there from early on, if Bangor didn’t score they would be susceptible to a sucker punch.

On 36′ a handball which appeared to be in the Barry Town penalty area was initially given as a penalty by the referee, but he then changed his mind after consulting with the linesman, awarding a free kick on the very edge of penalty area, the resulting free kick was sent sailing over the crossbar.

At the other end Tyrrell Webbe’s shot across the Bangor goalmouth avoided everybody; more warning signs for Bangor.

Half-Time Score: Bangor City 0-0 Barry Town United

Bangor looked more lively in the second half with Dean Rittenberg deflected shot off Laurence Wilson being ruled out for off-side, had the shot gone straight in the goal would have stood.

Bangor then spurned a number of chances from Damien Allen, Gary Taylor-Fletcher Dean Rittenberg and Luke Wall. On 82′ Barry goalkeeper Lewis spilled Luke Wall‘s shot & Daniel Nardiello scored from the rebound only to see the linesman flag in the air again for offside.

On 83′ the inevitable happened when Kayne Mclaggon ran onto a long ball and beat Connor Roberts to put Barry Town United 1-0 ahead; much to the jubilation of the Barry fans who had made the long journey up north.

Bangor brought on Sion Edwards (for Brayden Shaw) & George Harry (for Gary Taylor-Fletcher) on 87’ but it was too little too late for Bangor.

Barry Town nearly added a second in injury time, which would have been particularly harsh on Bangor, but the Citizens will be left ruing a missed opportunity in what should have been, on paper at least, a comfortable home win.

Full-Time: Bangor City 0-1 Barry Town United

Photo Event Photo Wales.