Restoration of the main building at Bangor Railway Station, which began in the spring, is progressing well and the work is likely to be completed in September.
Work has been in progress to replace the roof and restore the historic chimney stacks and a bell tower which have been notable features of the building since the station opened in 1848.
The restoration will also include the re-introduction of the two chimneys, which were removed as a cost saving exercise prior to the building becoming Grade II listed in 1988. The re-introduction of the additional two chimneys will significantly improve the appearance of the roofline, sympathetically restoring the building and it’s original features.
All the chimney stacks have now been rebuilt with reclaimed bricks to their full height with traditional sandstone capping on top and the bell tower has been cleaned, re-plastered and painted.
Historical water damage has meant that the original roof timbers needed to be stripped and the roof has been re-slated with reclaimed slate.
Swapping out the non-matching window openings with timber sash windows on the west elevation to match the principle elevations will significantly improve the appearance of this elevation.
Historical plans were sourced and research was completed prior to the work ensuring it would be as close as possible to the original building.
Photos Railway Heritage Trust and Historic image of Bangor Station (Bangor Civic Society)