Bangor gained a measure of revenge for a defeat at Central Park in August as they swept aside depleted Denbigh at Nantporth.

Depleted though largely due to ill discipline with rugged centreback Tony Davies amongst the absentees. For City young Gruff Evans continued in goal with teenage wingers Alex Boss and Sam Jones tasked with unhinging the reds defence. But it was the visitors who fired a couple of early warning shots as Sam Jones and then Alieu Sherieff went close.

Bangor settled and with Yalany Baio again prominent in midfield forced a series of corners which saw Miles Todd at full stretch at the heart of the Denbigh defence. On ten minutes a fifth blues corner was headed goalwards by Sam Barnes but goalkeeper Craig Vernon gathered.

On fifteen minutes a foul on right winger Alex Boss yielded a freekick which Sam Jones got his head to first but flew over the crossbar. Next Gary Taylor Fletcher fired over before on 17 minutes a first corner for Denbigh who employed the “crowd the keeper” tactice but sent the flag kick strraight out of play.

With twenty minutes gone City had the lead. Jake Phillips sent over the sixth corner of the evening, Sam Barnes and Alex Darlington had efforts blocked but Mike Williams headed home from six yards.

Bangor were now playing with confidence and Taylor Fletcher, Sam Jones and Marc Williams combined to tee up Yalany Baio but his shot cleared the crossbar. Three minutes later the lively Boss beat his man but Vernon saved his low drive.

Ten minutes before the interval a great save from Vernon as Gary Taylor Fletcher chipped the keeper after his initial effort struck the upright but the glovesman raced back to save.

Midfielder Stuart Vernon threatened for Denbigh as he cut in from the right but Gruff Evans dealt confidently with his goalbound effort. Two minutes before the interval a yellow card for Ashely Stephens for a mistimed challenge but City regained the initiative as Sam Jones and Marc Williams both went close.

The final action of note was a good challenge by Mike Williams to concede a corner for the visitors who again attempted to block the goalkeeper but Taylro Fletcher cleared and the half ended with City a goal to the good.
All to play for…


No changes at the interval

Bangor once again in the box seat but Denbigh defending stubbornly with Miles Todd and his young charges determined to give nothing away.

Ten minutes after the restart a foul on Marc Williams brought a freekick which Aled Darlington fired golawards but Vernon again saved well. On the hour mark an all too familiar yellow card for Yalany Baio for comments passed to the referee. Moments later the ever dangerous Sam Jones fired over.

On 63 minutes it was two nil for Bangor. Gary Taylor Fletcher found Sam Jones whose shot was well saved by Vernon but Aled Boss stabbed home from close range.
Denbigh responded with a double change as Chandon Gioacchini and Paul Williams came on for Sam Jones and Dan Lloyd.

But on 65 minutes it mattered not as Sam Jones made it three nil after Gary Taylor Fletcher slid the ball through for the young striker to slide home.

And two minutes later with just 67 on the clock it was four as Sam Jones crashed the ball into the roof of the net after great work from Marc Williams.

With the situation starting to get desperate for Denbigh Bailey Jackson was booked for a foul before on 70 minutes Sam Dool came on for the impressive Yalany Baio.

Dool was quickly into the action as he picked out Sam Joines but Vernon saved. With fifteen minutes to go another injury to a goalkeeper as the clumsy Sherieff clattered young Gruff Evans was received a yellow card for his efforts. on 77 minutes Evans had to be replaced by Nathan Wolland.

On 82 minutes Alex Boss made way for Jacob Farleigh and Denbigh sent on Sion Jones for Stuart Vernon. Bangor kept pressing for a fifth goal as Mike Williams saw his header hit the crossbar from a late corner.

Into added time and a fifth goal finally arrived to Aled Darlington turned in Jake Phillips cross after good approach play involving Jacob Farleigh on the right.

And that was about it, an emphatic home win all the more enjoyable for the presence of the three teenagers, one of whom kept a clean sheet and the other two both scored.
Next game at Holyhead on Friday 18th January 2019

Photos above of Mike Williams and Sam Jones with thanks to Bangor City FC


Match Photos: Denbigh Town FC

Match Report: Mike Smith