The £1m restoration of Bangor’s Garth Pier continues to progress well, the work, which commenced in August 2017, is expected to take up to four years to complete.
Significant scaffolding is necessary along the pier as the work has to comply with stringent health and safety measures, the pier, kiosks and café will remain open throughout the work.
The restoration project is aimed at ensuring the future of Bangor Pier for many years to come, funded directly by Bangor City Council, involves work to strengthen the structure and also provide new handrails on the pier deck. The last restoration and renovation programme was in 1986.
The pier was opened on 14th May 1896 by Lord Penrhyn. It had cost £17,000 to build. Steamers called from Douglas, Liverpool, Blackpool, and elsewhere, used to regularly visit the pier. In 1914, a cargo steamer collided with the pier causing severe damage, repairs were carried out by the Royal Engineers and the 3 foot gauge baggage line, which ran the length of the pier was removed at this time.
The pier closed for safety reasons at the end of 1971. Ownership passed to Arfon Borough Council in 1974, who decided to demolish the structure. However, the City Council objected and listed building status was obtained for the pier, one of the finest in Britain. Eventually, the City Council took over the pier for a nominal fee of 1p.
With help from the National Heritage Memorial Fund, the Welsh Office and the Manpower Services Commission, restoration began in November 1982 and the pier was officially re-opened on 7th May 1988 by the Marquis of Anglesey.
Photos courtesy of Marilyn Willis