Match Report: Bangor City 0-2 Guilsfield

Bangor City finished off 2018 with a disappointing home defeat against mid table Guilsfield who struck twice after the interval after a goalless first half.

City boss Gary Taylor Fletcher included himself in the starting line up for the first time since he rejoined the club. With both Mike Williams and Anthony Stephens missing there was a recall for Yalany Baio whilst Sam Dool also started. There was also a home debut for goalkeeper Nathan Wolland.

Clearly this left the potential for defensive frailties and so it proved. The first threat came from Guilsfield but captain Sam Barnes was on hand to clear the danger. Gradually City took the initiative with Marc Willaims and Jacob Farleigh looking to break behind The Gills defence.

City had to wait until the quarter hour mark to have their first shot on target as Gary Taylor Fletcher tried to fox visting goalkeeper Mike Jones but he was up to the task. Moments later the player manager got his head to a Bangor freekick but skewed his effort wide. Next Jacob Farleigh tried his luck from wide out but the ball sped across the goal.

With around 25 minutes gone Sam Dool lifted the ball over the visitors defence for Jacob Farleigh to latch onto but he fired over. Then Alex Darlington shot wide from distance. Minutes later City had to settle for a corner when loud shouts for a penalty were waved away after a goalmouth scramble in the Guilsfield box.

On the half hour City rattled the woodwork before a Jake Phillips cross was just out of the reach of Alex Darlington and cleared by the visitors. But Guilsfield were still posing a threat and won a corner which Gary Taylor Fletcher cleared. Next up a freekick to the blues for a foul on Alex Darlington but the spot kick cannoned into the wall. Moments later another corner for the visitors, City concede a second flag kick which has to be hacked to safety by Marc Williams after some uncertainty in the home defence.

And that was about the final action of note as the whistle blew on a goalless first half which saw City have the greater share of possession but Guilsfield come closes to breaking the deadlock.
All to play for…


No changes at the interval. But the game to a turn for the worst from a Bangor point of view on fifty minutes.

Goalkeeper Nathan Wolland did well to keep out a goal bound effort but from the resulting corner he dropped the ball for centreback Sam Litchfield to rush in and put the visitors ahead.

Five minutes later it got worse for City as Jake Phillips lost possession and Steve Blenkinsop ran clear to double the lead.

Bangor had to do something and manager Gary Taylor Fletcher sent on Les Davies and Sam Jones in place of Marc Williams and Alex Darlington.

But it was the visitors who might have gone three up but for an instinctive stop from blues ‘keeper Nathan Wolland. City tried to respond by Jake Phillips cross was beyond the reach of Gary Taylor Fletcher.

With 20 minutes left to play Sam Dool saw his volley just clear the Guilsfield bar before the visitors countered at speed and forced Nathan Wolland into a good one on one stop.

With just ten minutes left substitute Les Davies got the better of a couple of defenders but could not hit the target. Next Davies turned provider with a cross headed over by Sam Barnes but the offside flag was already up.

In the final minute of the ninety Robbie Parry was unlucky to see his goal bound effort deflected for a corner which in turn came to nothing.

For City it was about the last roll of the dice and minutes later the visitors claimed a memorable victory on their first ever visit to Bangor, be that Nantporth or Farrar Road. It would be churlish to say they did not deserve the win for their second half performance.

For Gary Taylor Fletcher the defensive frailties which sparked concerns before kick off came home to roost.

Next game at Buckley on Saturday 5th January 2019.