Bangor raced to a two goal lead against visitors Holywell and with four goal Alex Darlington in deadly form never looked like losing that early advantage.

Attacking The Antelope End in the first period City did so with eighteen year old Gruff Evans impressing in goal on his full debut.

Early goals were what the City supporters wanted and on a cold Nantporth night and that is what they got.

Inside two minutes all action right back Jake Phillips released winger Robbie Parry whose inviting cross was headed beyond goalkeeper Mike Platt by leading goalscorer Alex Darlington to set the home side in motion.

Five minutes later former Caernarfon goalkeeper Platt denied Les Davies but Alex Darlington was on hand to slot home the rebound. The Wellmen though were not for giving up and two minutes later they halved the deficit..

The lively Aaron Pomeyie passed to Matty Harvey on the left and his cross beat all and sundry to nestle in the Bangor net. Moments later a test of the courage of new referee Dan Fogerty who had to rule on a wild challenge by Sam Jones on young Gruff Evans. With City fans calling for red the former WNL official opted for yellow.

Around the twenty minute mark Mike Williams was fouled but Sam Dool fired over from distance before Robbie Parry raced into the Holywell box and appeared to be stopped unfairly but again Mr Fogerty was not in agreeement.With City in control via the midfield pairing of Yalany Baio and Sam Dool the chances kept coming with Alex Darlington shooting wide off Robbie Parr’s cross from the right.

On the half hour a blues corner was half cleared to Sam Dool but his effort was charged down before Steve Lewis threatened for the Wellmen but Gruff Evans was up to the task with a clean save. City won and wasted a corner before Lewis again forged a chance but the home defence stood firm.

As time ran out at the end of the first half Alex Darlington again had a shot charged down and a final chance for Steve Lewis but he dragged his shot wide.

So a two one half time lead for the blues but a game still very much in the balance.
Photos above with kind permission of Lee Douglas & Holywell Town


No changes at the interval.

The first action of the second period was a rising drive from Alex Darlington which rose too much before Jordan Piggott stepped in to thwart the charging Lewis.

Holywell fashioned a chance next as Pomeyie found Sam Jones who in turn set up Steve Lewis but he fired just over Evans’ crossbar. City responded as Sam Dool controlled right winger Robbie Parry’s cross but Alex Darlington fired too close to goalkeeper Platt.

Both Yalany Baio and Robbie Parry went close for City but the lead remained a slender one. Holywell sent on Ryan Jones for Zebb Edwards.

Then on 65 minutes Bangor had a third goal as Alex Darlington headed home for his hatrick and to restore the two goal buffer.

Holywell responded with a double substitution as Shaun Tuck and John Robertson came on for Josh Maldon and Aaron Pomeyie respectively. City sent on Jacob Farleigh for a weary Yalany Baio. And it was the visitors changes that sparked some danger as Gruff Evans had to be alert to rush out and clear as Lewis ran on goal.

On 72 minutes it was four one and just about all over as Jacob Farleigh’s cross was turned home by Alex Darlington for his fourth goal of the season. A third four goal haul of the season for the free scoring striker. City sent fit again defender Sam Barnes on in place of Jordan Piggott.

With fifteen minutes to go a Bangor corner was half cleared to Robbie Parry who volleyed home to make the scoreline five one. Jake Phillips fired over from distance as City kept pushing for a sixth goal before on 83 minutes Sam Jones came on for Les Davies who had given the visitors defence a difficult evening.

But it was Holywell who had the last word four minutes from time as Shaun Tuck squared the ball to Matty Harvey who long range effort flew into the roof the Bangor net. A second goal of the evening for the former Flint left footer.

It was to prove little more than a consolation as Bangor forced a flurry of late corners but could not breach the Holywell defence.

So five two it finished and an entertaining night for the sparse crowd at a chilly Nantporth.

Next game at Porthmadog on Boxing Day.

Full Time 5-2  Attendance: 162

Match Report: Mike Smith