Coleg Menai in Bangor, opened on this day 18th September 1957.
The further education college provides a range of academic and vocational courses including A levels, Apprenticeships, English for Speakers of Other Languages programmes and Access courses. It also offers some higher education courses in conjunction with Bangor University.
Origianlly called the Caernarvonshire Technical College, it was officially opened 60 years ago today. The photos here are of the college under construction, circa 1956, on Ffriddoedd Road, Bangor.
The college replaced the Bangor Technical Institute located, from 1947, on Deiniol Road. The college building soon became (after its opening in 1957) insufficient to serve its emerging needs and in 1969 further buildings were added to the site. The Sports Hall on the campus opened in 1972.
The college was renamed Gwynedd Technical College in 1974, and Coleg Gwynedd in 1991. The campus has been part of Coleg Menai’s estate from 1994, in turn part of Grwp Llandrillo Menai since 2012.