Bangor were able to return to Nantporth for this home fixture with old enemy Rhyl and they celebrated in style with a welcome home win over The Lilywhites.

City were forced to rule out centreback Mike Williams but on the plus side Robbie Parry was available and certainly made his presence felt.

It was the visitors though who took the early advantage with a couple of chances for Sam Molyneux both kept out by reinstated goalkeeper Nathan Wolland. The first Bangor threat came on seven minutes from winger Jacob Farleigh who fired over the bar.

Then on 14 minutes City had the lead as Jacob Farleigh latched onto a loose ball from Kian Owen’s long throw to find the bottom corner with a sweet half volley. This goal gave the young blues confidence and on 23 minutes they doubled the lead. Gary Taylor Fletcher released Robbie Parry and his fine solo run culminated in a calm finish whihc left the veteran Hill Dunt helpless.

Alex Boss had the beating of Joe Sullivan who went into the referee’s book for a poor challenge on the young winger. On the half hour James Murphy got the better of the blues defence but Sam Molyneux could not apply the all important touch. Jacob Farleigh tested Hill Dunt from distance but the ‘keeper was in command.

But on 34 minutes it was three nil to Bangor. A first City goal for young Tom Reilly as he fired home left footed from the edge of the box. Two minutes later a goal back for The Lilywhites as Sam Molyneux netted after Nathan Wolland had done well to save the initial effort from the ever dangerous James Murphy.

Jacob Farleigh had suffered an injury during the opening half hour and he was replaced by Anglesey youngster Dylan Sumers Jones.

The Bangor side was built around powerful player manager Gary Taylor Fletcher and his hold up play won a freekick which he fired goalwards but Hill Dunt saved. Right on the stroke of half time James Murphy saw his shot slide narrowly wide and the referee blew for the interval with City well placed with a two goal advantage.

Half-Time 3-1

Bangor went close three minutes after the restart as Gary Taylor Fletcher chested the ball down for Osian Hughes but he shot at Hill Dunt. Moments later Dave McIntyre fired off target for distance. Gethin Thomas was shown the yellow card for a mistimed challenge which yielded a freekick to the visitors which Taylor Fletcher headed clear.
Next up a moment of magic and pure farce as Alex Boss hurdled wild challenges from Dave McIntyre and Ben Nash before being brought down in the area by Cai Owen. A clear penalty and three bookings for the Rhyl offenders! Robbie Parry took the responsibility and slotted home to the left beyond Hill Dunt for a four one lead on the hour mark.

Rhyl immediately rang the changes then with Ben Lockley and Swiss debutant Richard Glauser coming on for Joe Sullivan and Barry Torrence respectively.

And with 68 minutes gone the changes paid off as James Murphy cut in from the right and fired into the top corner. A final change for Rhyl as young Connor Roberts replaced Dave McIntyre. The Lilywhites pressed forward and blues captain Michael Johnston was booked for a foul on the edge of the box but the freekic crashed into the home wall.

On 75 minutes Tom Reilly crossed but substitute Summers Jones could not quite get his head to the ball as City sought what would now be a decisive fifth goal of the evening. Reilly, along with fellow teenagers Osain Hughes and Gethn Thomas had battled hard for City against their more experienced opponents.

But on 84 minutes the anxiety levels grew for City as James Murphy crashed home from outside the box to make the score 4-3 with time enough left for the Lilywhites to level the scores.

As time ran out Robbie Parry was injured and had to be replaced by young defender Cian Williams and he played his part as City held on for a narrow but welcome victory thanks to a srong performance from Gary Taylor Fletcher and a brace from Robbie Parry. And for some reason it had to be four three!

Full Time 4-3
Attendance 508

Match Report: Mike Smith