Bangor suffered a horrible beating at Bastion Gardens against a Prestatyn Town side who were billed as relegation candidates a few month ago.

On a mild but wet evening on the North Wales coast City were without Chris Mullock and Sam Jones but were able to welcome Robbie Parry back to the matchday squad.

It was Prestatyn who started on the front foot and quickly ran up a two goal lead. The first goal came on nine minutes when Town captain Alex Jones pounced on a rebound to crash home from the edge of the box. Four minutes later it was two nil. The pacey Macauley Taylor unsettled the blues defence for Danny Davies to fire past young Gruff Evans.

In between there had a been a glimmer of an equaliser as Mike Williams and Gary Taylor-Fletcher went close but could not get the ball past Ryan Roberts.
On twenty minutes Kian Owen did well to deny Taylor again and City managed to clear the resulting corner.

But on 32 minutes Bangor pulled one back as Jordan Piggott’s flighted freekick was headed home by player manager Gary Taylor-Fletcher.

Five minutes later Alex Boss opened up the Prestatyn defence with a fine run but midfielder Tom Reilly could not get any power in his shot and Roberts saved. With five minutes left blues keeper Gruff Evans did well to deny Danny Davies whose dipping volley forced a fine back-peddling save.

But with two minutes to go City drew level. Gary Taylor-Fletcher picked out Jacob Farleigh whose curling shot beat Roberts all ends up as it crashed in off the crossbar.

And that was about it for the first half as City had shown good spirit to fightback after suffering that double blow.


No changes at the interval.

The early stages of the second half were even enough with Alex Boss racing beyond Faulkner but not getting the better of Roberts.

On 58 minutes a change for City as Mike Williams limped off to be replaced by Robbie Parry. Alex Boss threatened again and was fouled in the process but nothing came of the freekick.

On 68 minutes Prestatyn regained the lead as the veteran Dave Hayes netted from Ben Maher’s corner. Prestatyn had the upper hand now and Gruff Evans did well to keep out Macauley Taylor but it was a temporary reprieve as the home side struck again on 73 minutes as Danny Davies grabbed his second from distance.

With fifteen minutes to go City went close to halving the deficit through Jacob Farleigh whose curler forced a fine save from Ryan Roberts. Minutes later Wayne Adams replaced Oli Buckley in the Prestatyn side.

But on 81 minutes it was five two as Macauley Taylor got in on the goalscoring action with a fine solo finish.

With five minutes left a double change as Cian Williams replaced the struggling Michael Johnston and Prestatyn withdrew captain Alex Jones for Sam Duffy.

Two minutes from time Aaron White came on for double scorer Danny Davies but there was still time for the home side to rub salt in the wound as Dave Hayes netted his second of the evening.

A humbling experience for the very youthful Bangor side which finished the match but, in fairness, they worked hard and showed pride in the shirt despite being out played at times.

Next Game: Rhyl at Nantporth next Friday.


Match Report: Mike Smith