Bangor City crashed to an emphatic “home” defeat against mid table Ruthin for whom Llyr Morris scored twice early on at Maesdu Park, Llandudno.

The Ruthin number nine is arguably the outstanding striker in the CA and his early brace knocked the stuffing out of the young blues side.

The first goal came inside the opening minute as Llyr Morris slotted home from a cross form the right. City won a couple of freekicks for fouls on Piggott and Boss with Mike Williams getting something on both crosses into the box but goalkeeper Goldston was untroubled.

And then on thirteen minutes Ruthin doubled their lead. Nathan Wolland saved well but Llyr Morris was on hand to slot home from close range.

Already the pattern of the game was set as a physical but not dirty Ruthin side had the edge in midfield and seemed to play with more urgency and aggression. In the middle of all this centrehalf Michael Johnston took a knock from a heavy challenge.

Llyr Morris was now on a hatrick and went running through but was hauled back by the offside flag. City looked most threatening when Alex Boss ran at the visitors defence but no one could get on the end of his crosses into the box. On 27 minutes a foul on Boss led to a freekick taken by Gary Taylor Fletcher but fired over the bar from just outside the area.

On 29 minutes a setback for Ruthin as Craig Wilkinson was forced off to be replaced by Tom Dyer but they continued to press as Gwydion Ifan forced a decent save from blues keeper Nathan Wolland. Boss and Tom Reilly had half chances for City but the Town defence were alert and snuffed them out.

On 38 minutes a blow for Bangor as Michael Johnston was forced off by the injury suffered twenty minutes earlier, to be replaced by seventeen year old Osian Hughes.
Then a minute before the break a Ruthin freekick on the edge of the box was curled home impressively by Ryan Jones for a near unassaible three nil lead.

And that was how the scoreline stood at the interval with a very young looking blues side facing a diffcult second period.

And a very difficult team talk for manager Taylor Fletcher.


No changes at the interval

Bangor opened the second half on the attack with Sam Jones forcing an early corner which was attacked by Osian Hughes resulting in a second flag kick which came to nothing.

Fouls on Alex Boss and then Sam Jones resulted in a freekick in a dangerous position but leftback Kian Owen lifted his effort over.

But on 53 minutes it was further misery for City as a mix up in the blues defence led to Nathan Wolland conceded a penalty which Ilan Hughes converted confidently to put the visitors four nil ahead.

With the youthful defence under pressure it was Mike Williams who stood firm to ensure there was no further damage done. Alex Boss continued to impress with some pacey runs which often met with heavy challenges by the Ruthin defenders.

On 68 minutes Tom Williams came on for Gwydion Ifan and moments later Nathan Wolland did well to rush out and clear as danger threatened. City went close then as Kian Owen hurtled in a long throw which Gary Taylor Fletcher headed against the crossbar. Five minutes later Taylor Fletcher set up Tom Reilly but he fired wide from distance.

With ten minutes to go City’s player manager needed treatment after a blow to the head, then Benn Lundstram came on for Jacob Farleigh.

With seven minutes left Osian Hughes crossed but a patched upTaylor Fletcher headed over as City looked for a consolation goal which also saw Alex Boss fire at Goldston who will have had busier evenings.

In what was the final meaningful action Ruthin chased forward once more but Jordan Piggott timed his challenge well and stopped them from adding to the score.

So a heavy defeat for City who perhaps deserved a goal for their efforts but never managed to recover from that early double blast from Morris.

Full Time 0-4

Next game at Flint on Saturday 3rd March 2019.

Match Report: Mike Smith