Arfon Welsh Assembly member Siân Gwenllian and Councillor Steve Collings, Gwynedd councillor for the Deiniol Ward in Bangor, were dismayed to see the devastation left by the fire that raged on parts of Bangor Mountain last week. They have also thanked the emergency services for their hard work in tackling the blaze.
Firefighters were called to the fire on Bangor mountain on 2nd July. Four appliances attended the incident which took several hours to bring under control. Huge plumes of black smoke were seen above Bangor as firefighters tackled the blaze, Caellepa and Lon Bopty were closed while fire crews dealt with the incident.
North Wales Fire Service have since issued a warning urging people to be responsible during the hot conditions, after several wildfires in the region. The fire service said: “We want everyone to enjoy the hot weather sensibly – please help us to avoid accidental fires.
“Make sure you barbecue safely, properly extinguish cigarettes, avoid burning garden waste and keep mirrors out of sunlight.”
Siân Gwenllian said: “I visited the site and was very concerned to see that the fire had come very close to houses and properties only a stone’s throw away from the city centre. It must have been a very frightening experience.
“I wish to thank the fire service, the police and the other emergency services for their work on Bangor Mountain and also in Braichmelyn, Bethesda and in Carmel. Thanks also to the local communities for supporting each other during a stressful and anxious time.”
Bangor mountain fire (Photo Simon Murray)